Copyright © Every Day Japan
Design by Dzignine
Thursday, November 15, 2012

床暖房:Floor Heater

Everyone in the world, except for people in the Philippines, Pohnpei, Guam, and Hawaii will know what I am talking about when I say "it is getting so flipping cold these days!" (Sorry PI, Micronesia, and Hawaii, I know how you roll)

That is to say, it's my fingers are about to fall off and my toes are turning black from frost bite. Not a pleasant feeling. Well, the Japanese have invented a few things to really help us cold people out. One of them that I had a vague idea of before I came here (saw it in movies, but never experienced it) is the kotatsu.

Now, I'll probably dedicate a post on the kotatsu later, but basically its a table with a cloth on top that keeps whatever's underneath of it warm and toasty. Pretty neat huh?

Well, another contraption that I just learned of today is...the floor heater:

床暖房
( ゆかだんぼう / yukadanbou )


As you can see above, basically there is a thin layer of water that lies right below the top layer. You simply press your magic button (hmmm...I don't even know where that button is in my house...looks like I've got to investigate) and viola, your floor gets warm!

I must say that it is amazing. Because of this, my feet can survive the harsh winter ahead. The best part is, it's not just for your feet, but the warming effect will also rise through the floor boards and heat up the rest of the room (because hot air raisess, of course).

our floor. looks pretty normal right? but try walking on it!
So there you have it. Another example of Japan Smarts~ Until next time:
またね~

PS. Just thought I'd add this is: If you have this in your own snow-infested country, don't attack me for saying that this is a Japanese invention! I simply have never lived in snow, so I don't know these kind of things :P

0 comments:

Post a Comment