Copyright © Every Day Japan
Design by Dzignine
Tuesday, November 13, 2012

垂れ目:Droopy Eyes

Now, I'll be one of the first to admit that I don't have a splendid eye for fashion or an inkling on how to become more beautiful or gorgeous (my only advise is to exercise/workout -_-), but I thought I knew what a droopy eye was before I came to Japan.

Just the other day, I was told that I had:

垂れ目
( たれめ / tareme )

A quick consultation with a dictionary will tell you that this means "drooping/droopy eyes".

What?! I know I'm no Brad Pitt, but I never knew I was this:

whatcha looking at kid?!
Well, apparently I was in the wrong because it was soon explained to me that having 垂れ目 was a compliment. It meant that I had nice curves to eyes; even better, the edges of my eyes slanted downwards.

Now, I don't know if it was just the way that I slept the night before, or if I've always been blessed with droopy eyes, but either way I was shocked and happy at the same time. Happy because no one has ever complimented my eyes before (why do blue/green-eyed people get all the compliments?!), and shocked because I could never imagine people wanting droopy eyes.

In America if someone says you've got droopy eyes, you've either:

1) Have a medical condition
2) Been training for the UFC too hard
3) Been hitting the drugs too hard

And only number 2 sounds like it has any merit. 

The point is, in Japan, having droopy eyes means something totally different. Even after reading my banter, I still would recommend talking to a good ol' fashioned Japanese High School girl because she could probably explain the detail a whole lot better. But, simply look at this picture and try to understand:

look into my eyes...
Yep, droopy eyes are beautiful in Japan. That's all there is to know.

Hope you learned something! I kinda did...kinda~

おつかれさま!

0 comments:

Post a Comment