Copyright © Every Day Japan
Design by Dzignine
Saturday, October 13, 2012

一番のポスト:The first Post!

"Darn another blog"...I know, that's what you're thinking. But, people pressured me, I swear! Well, this blog isn't going for any professional points because I simply want to share my experience here in Japan. If we're friends on Facebook, you can probably just look at all my pictures there, but hopefully in this blog I can give you a better feel of what it's like to live here in the land of the rising sun.

For my first post and category in this wonderful new blog I am proud to present:

"Japangrish"

This category will cover random posters, signs, etc that portray the use of English in Japan. When Mami and I run into these words we get a real kick out of them, and so I hope you do to.


NO SMOKING in Toilet, please.
but I like to get my feet wet at the same time...
If you haven't smoked IN a toilet before, you are missing out!!!...um...just kidding, I don't smoke. Well, English students, here's what it should say: "No smoking in the restroom, please". If you leave it like it is, it would mean: "Please do not stand inside the toilet bowl and smoke at the same time". Well, at least they said please.

Although incorrect and funny, the interesting thing is that for Japanese people, this sentence is fairly correct. Japanese people actually use the word TOILET (トイレ) as an equivalent to "restroom", "comfort room", "powder room", "wash room", and etc. and it doesn't necessarily just mean the toilet bowl. So, they missed the article "the" but they could have done worst. Basically they just said "No smoking in restroom". Not as bad as you thought huh? 

Well, I hope you learned something, and remember, please, please, please, do not smoke while putting your head inside the toilet bowl! Bye bye~ またね~

1 comments:

  1. Smoking on the toilet sounds like a great way to relax.

    ReplyDelete